Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sunday dinner #6

Another Sunday dinner, but this one is much more recent. With roast chicken, fingerling potatoes, and sautéed broccoli rabe.

1999 Ghislaine Barthod Chambolle 1er Cru Les Charmes
This was decanted for a 45 minutes to an hour before we started into it. Wow. Just wow. Charmes is not my favorite from Barthod, I tend to like the more muscular mineral qualities of Fuées and Veroilles. However, tonight it seemed like the perfect wine. Deep sappy fruit with a gossamer cloud of flowers, herbs, spices and minerals all around. Charming in a very deep sense. The fruit was sappy and long and the structure kept everything in proportion. A really fantastic showing and I would encourage you to try one if you have multiple bottle for the joy it will give you now, but this should age for at least another decade based on balance alone.

2 comments:

The Wine Mule said...

Mostly all I get to see is the Chambolle Musigny...and I'll drink all I can lay my hands on.

Florida Jim said...

Good to hear. I have the Fuess and Cras in my cellar from 1999, maybe I'll get into one this coming year.
Best, Jim