Monday, September 21, 2009

Goat cheese and archetypes

My friend Matt cooked a dinner out at Elodie Farms not too far back. Elodie Farms is a local producer of goat cheese that both he and my brother use. Dave, the owner, is a riot and it was a fun evening.

2004 Edmond Vatan Sancerre Clos la Néore
How does one critique the archetype? A great wine. Maybe not as intense as the 2002 or as dense and tactile as the 2005, but great wine.

2002 Domaine Marquis d'Angerville Bourgogne
A decent showing, but not especially complex or interesting. Most folks rate this Bourgogne very highly, but it isn’t in the Mugneret or Barthod league, IMO. I've been disappointed with most 2002 d'Angerville at this stage. They just seem dull and flattened out. I guess this might re-emerge in a couple of years, but this is my last bottle and I wish I had drank it when it was young and exhuberent.

2005 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Cuvée Domaine
The “go-to wine” right now. Whatever that means. But in all seriousness, while this wine has all the material in place to age pretty gracefully, it is no crime to dig in now. However, that being said, the 2004 is drinking much better at this particular moment. I think this wine is an outrageous value and really flexible at the dinner table.

3 comments:

Florida Jim said...

What Lyle said - except for the part about wine.
Best, Jim

Sharon said...

You are on a tear!

Nice to see you blogging frequently. Especially with the fine quality of the content.

I can't agree, in general, about Marquis d'Angerville Bourgogne (rouge), though. Though the blanc is a travesty, most times.

the vlm said...

Blogging is for losers. Wine boreds rule.

Sharon-

I don't understand. Do you disagree that d'Angervilel is highly regarded? that it showed dull and flat? or that I wish I had drank it when it was young and exuberant?