Wednesday, May 6, 2009

In praise of the good

I was just over at Wine Disorder and was redirected to a blog post by my friend Eric Asimov. Although it contains that semi-infamous quote about La Tâche, I think the sentiment is one we discussed at length. The below captures the gist:

This business of favorites is tricky, anyway. People ask me all the time what my favorite wine is, or my favorite restaurant. I can never answer, because it all depends on the context. What am I eating? Where am I? Who am I with? What kind of mood am I in?
I think this is fairly similar to the post I made today about the good versus the great. Something that myself and like minded folks believe is that wine is like food, that is, it is an outgrowth of a place and time and should be part of the table, not a monument, not over fetishized (I mean, who can resist a little fetishism).

This isn't to say that I don't love Mugneret, Quintarelli, Giacosa or La Tâche it just means that there should be a sort of harmony on the table without anything having to try too hard.

I posted recently about a big, super-Chave dinner. I was happy to attend it but I would have rather enjoyed each bottle individually, or in pairs, over a long evening rather than the intensity of the super-tasting event.

Anyway, check out Eric's post he's making some sense.

No comments: